Monday, October 15, 2007

The Sheepfold


DID YOU KNOW…
that the life of a shepherd in Biblical times was a hard one?


Jacob tells us in Genesis 31:40, “Thus I was; by day the heat consumed me, and the cold by night, and my sleep fled my eyes.”

Some shepherds lived and slept outside all the time, especially if they were looking after a large flock which was too big for a fold or cave.

Luke 2:8, “And in that region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.”

The shepherd cannot leave his sheep, neither by day, nor by night, and as a result, he knows the sheep from birth. He spends the entire time with them, and the sheep know that the shepherd will look after them, provide for them and keep them safe.

The usual sheepfold was a simple structure of loose stones, without mortar, varying in height from about 1.2 to 2.5 meters. Sometimes dead thorny brushes were added on top of the wall for further protection.

In general there is no regular door, but a narrow doorway in which the shepherd sleeps to guard the sheep at night. He is their door.

John 10:7, 9. “So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. I am the door: if any man shall enter he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”

When no sheepfold is near, a ring of thorny bushes is heaped up, but this of course is no real barrier for the wolf or other wild animals.

In the hill-country, natural caves are prolific and commonly used as folds for small herds. Generally, large herds can not be catered for in these caves.

It was common for two shepherds to share a fold, keeping all the sheep together.

At dawn the shepherds had to separate their sheep. The first shepherd stood outside the fold and called his sheep. His sheep came to him, as they knew his voice, leaving the remainder for the other shepherd.

John 10:3,4,5, 14. “The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. A stranger they will not follow, but they will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers… I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me.”

Written by Jim and Maxine Carlill.
Picture: Jim Carlill. Sheepfold in Gilo, Jerusalem, Israel.